What it Means to be a Ratepayer

Being a property owner in the Shire of Boyup Brook requires the payment of rates each year. Your rates provide Council with the revenue needed to manage all the services and facilities which makes the Boyup Brook Shire a great place to live in.

Each financial year – as our Shire’s needs change and as per the Long Term Financial Plan, a new budget is prepared to support the needs of the entire community. On adoption by Council of the current year financial budget, rate notices will be printed and mailed to the postal addresses as provided by the ratepayer.

Who Pays Rates?

Rates must be collected from anyone who owns property in the Shire. The Shire currently has four wards Benjinup, Dinninup, Boyup Brook and Scotts Brook. To amend or alter your rates address the Shire requires a formal notice in writing from the owner.

Why We Pay Rates

Rates are Council’s basic source of income and help pay for the many necessary services and facilities provided by the Shire. These include the paths you walk or ride along every day and the playgrounds and barbecue areas available for you and your families to use. Your Council supports varied lifestyles, which we all appreciate in the Shire.

But it is not only ratepayers who fund the Council’s projects and activities. Council aims to keep rates as reasonable as possible by gaining as much as is possible from investments, fees and charges and Federal and State Government grants.

Having Your Say on Proposed Rates

Each year, Council advertises and encourages feedback on its plans for the future. Ratepayers are encouraged to take the opportunity to study and comment on these important documents as both have implications on the rates imposed and services provided.

Emergency Services Levy (ESL)

The Emergency Services Levy (ESL) appearing on your rates notice is an important contribution to assist our fire fighters in a volunteer capacity, for our Fire and Rescue Services, Bush Fire Brigade and the State Emergency Service. The Emergency Services Levy is not a Council charge, but is collected by local governments on behalf of the State Government. If you have any enquires relating to the levy, please contact the Department of Fire and Emergency Services on 1300 136 099 or access their website at www.dfes.wa.gov.au.

Rate Payment Methods

Rate payments may be made:

  • In person at the Shire Office located on Abel Street Boyup Brook 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday. Payments at the Shire office can be made with cash, cheque*, debit card or credit card.
  • Over the phone with credit card
  • By mail (cheque* or money order only)
  • B-Pay see your rates notice for full details

* cheques can not be split.

Please check your rates notice for full payment details.

When Do I Have To Pay My Rates?

Instalment Dates 2023/2024

1st Instalment 22 September 2023
2nd Instalment 23 November 2023
3rd Instalment 24 January 2024
4th Instalment 26 March 2024

Difficulty in Paying Rates

Are you having difficulties in paying your rates?  To avoid costly legal expenses, please give the Rates Officer a call on 9765 1200 or email shire@boyupbrook.wa.gov.au, to discuss options that may be available to you.

Pensioner Concession Rebates

To be eligible for the State Government Rebate for the current financial year you must pay your portion of rates and Emergency Services Levy by the 30 June 2024 (your portion = 50% of your rates – capped at $750 for pensioner and $100 for seniors and ESL  50% for pensioners and 25% for seniors. Please see below for more details).

If your payment is not received by the 30 June 2024, you will lose your entitlement to claim the State Government Rebate on your Rates and Emergency Services Levy for this year, and these will be automatically deferred. Deferred rates remain a debt against the property until such time as they are paid.

Please note that all Waste charges are not deferrable and are required to be paid each year.

If you have any questions relating to this, please email shire@boyupbrook.wa.gov.au Attention: Rates Officer.

Pensioner Concession Rebate - Information

RevenueWA use a verification system which cross matches VEN, property address and Pensioner information.

If you are a RURAL Pensioner,  please ensure the address on your Pensioner Card is the same as the property address listed on rates notice or notify the Shire by email on shire@boyupbrook.wa.gov.au.

Many rural ratepayers have more than one assessment.  Please ensure that the Shire has been provided with the preferred postal address for all correspondence.

Eligibility to Receive a Concession Rebate

To receive a concession, you must own and occupy the property as your principal place of residence on 1 July of the current financial year and hold a valid Concession Card.

Holders of a Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card

  • The rebate is up to 50% for rates, limited to a maximum (capped) amount of $750.00
  • The option to defer rates may be available if the required criteria is met.
  • Receive a rebate on water usage charges, limited to a maximum (capped) amount.

Holders of the WA Seniors Card and the Commonwealth Seniors Card

  • The rebate is up to 50% for rates, limited to a maximum (capped) amount of $750.00
  • The option to defer rates may be available if the required criteria is met.

Holders of the WA Seniors Card only

  • The rebate is up to 25% for rates, limited to a maximum (capped) amount of $100.00
  • There is no option to defer rates.

Change of Ownership or Address

To ensure prompt receipt of your rate notice, please complete a change of address form. This can be completed by either coming into the office or by completing and signing the form below to notify us of any change to the ownership or changes of postal address. There is an obligation on property owners to ensure that the Shire has the correct address for service of notices. The Shire accepts no responsibility for mail not received due to an incorrect mailing address or a mail redirection.

Notice must be given in writing to the Shire within 21 days after a rateable property has been sold. Details of land description and name and address of the new owner must be provided. Proof of new ownership will be required prior to the Shire's records being updated.

  Change of Details Form