Rural Road Numbering Program

The Shire, in co-operation with the Landgate is introducing rural property addressing throughout the rural areas within the Shire of Boyup Brook. The Rural Road Numbering Program is based on a proven model, which is being introduced throughout the State and has significant advantages for property owners / residents in rural areas, their visitors, emergency services and Australia Post.

You should have no concerns with mail being lost or misdirected when your new address comes into effect. The allocation of a street number to each developed property will provide a new address for the resident of that property. RSM/RMB’s will gradually be phased out by Australia Post. Post Office Box addresses and post office deliveries made C/- PO, will remain unchanged and no changes to existing mail delivery arrangements will take place. Be assured that Australia Post has been involved with the Landgate’s program since commencement and representatives from Australia Post have advised us that they will direct mail using your old address to your new one for a period of time that will allow the change to take full effect.

Shortly you will notice a sign displaying your new rural number at the entrance to your property. It will take some time for all of the signs to be erected. Therefore we would ask that you DO NOT USE YOUR NEW ADDRESS UNTIL YOU RECEIVE OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION FROM LANDGATE. PLEASE NOTE: THIS PROCESS MAY TAKE UP TO TWO (2) YEARS TO COMPLETE.

The Shire acknowledges that a change of address may cause some inconvenience and cost, but there are significant short and long-term benefits for property owners and residents. We trust that you will gain these benefits and seek your assistance in implementing the project. Should you have any queries or require any additional information regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact Steve Millar at Landgate on (08)9273 0949 or Lee Daebritz on (08) 9273 7200. Landgate with the support of the Western Australian Municipal Association (WAMA) and a range of other State Government Agencies is leading this program with the aim of providing every rural property in WA with a street address.

Frequently Asked Questions - Rural Road Numbering Program

Between the time of erecting the new numbers in the field and the time of notifying the resident, the residents of the area will often telephone either Landgate or the Local Government with questions. The following list of questions attempts to provide suitable responses to these questions.

1. When should I start using my new number?

When the Shire has finished erecting the numbers, you will be notified by mail (to your new address) that you should now start using the new address. There may be quite a long delay between the erection of the number sign at your gate and the official notification.

2. Who has been notified?

Obviously both Landgate and the Shire are aware of your new address. In addition Landgate has notified the Police and Fire Services, the Federal and State Electoral Commissions, Western Power, Water Corporation, Alinta, Australia Post, Telstra, Main Roads WA and St John Ambulance on your behalf. These bodies are notified at the same time as the owner. They have contributed to the Property Street Address Project because they recognise the benefits of a logical numbering system.

3. My number is not what I think it should be?

If you believe that we have made a mistake in numbering, we need to be told. This may be due to the fact that we could not clearly identify your entrance from the aerial photograph, or that you have two entrances to the same building and we did not know which the preferred address was. Whatever the reason we will examine the problem and change your address if required.

4. Why did I get two address?

If you have two entrances to two separate buildings on the one property then we need to give them each an address. When an ambulance is looking for an injured person, it is most beneficial if the address provided actually matches the entrance to the accident scene (which may well be a shed etc.).

5. I want to change where my address post has been positioned Is this possible?

You may shift the address post back closer to your letterbox or gate if you wish. We would just ask that you ensure that the number is clearly visible from the road. The address post should not be shifted to a position which might make it hazardous to traffic or pedestrians.

6. I don't like my new number. Can I change it to something else?

Generally “no”, however if you change your entrance point then your number can change in accordance with the rural numbering standard.

7. I don't want a new number. Can I keep my old number?

No, under the Local Government Act, the Shire has an obligation to address all properties within its boundaries. This system for rural numbering is a national system currently being implemented throughout Australia. You local government is implementing in your Shire to meets its obligations under the Local Government Act and to assist Police, Fire and Rescue Services and Ambulance personnel to find you quickly in times of emergency.

8. I have just had letterheads printed with my old address. What should I do?

You should start to use your new address as soon as possible after the Shire has officially notified you. However, if you are concerned about receiving your mail, goods or services, then you should leave your lot number visible on the letterbox and write the word “Lot” in front of it. When next you need to print stationary, you should then adopt the new address consistently.

9. Why is Landgate involved?

Landgate has existing resources, including aerial photography and legal boundaries to implement rural number in the office using a computer system. This approach reduces the cost of rural numbering to about one third of the cost of assigning numbers in the field. Landgate also fulfils the coordination role required to ensure high integrity numbering across the whole State ensuring numbers on long roads across Shire boundaries are logical.

10. I haven't been assigned a number. What should I do?

You don’t need to do anything. Your local government will notify Landgate and a new number will be assigned and erected in due course. Then you will receive official notification with everybody else.