Places to See
TOURIST CENTRE AND CARNABY'S BEETLE COLLECTION
The Tourist Centre, situated on the corner of Bridge Street and Abel Street, is the home of the famous "Carnaby Collection of Beetles and Butterflies."
Mr Keith Carnaby is well known among entomologists: the British Museum of Natural History has beetles which have been named after him, and his collection of jewel beetles is the most important outside that museum. Part of his collection is housed in Boyup Brook and includes a beautiful display of butterflies. The display can be viewed between 10 am and 4 pm daily.
For more information on this or anything else in Boyup Brook, see the website at http://www.boyupbrooktourism.com.au or ring 9765 1444.
BLACKWOOD CREST WINERY
The winery has won several silver and gold medals at the Royal Show. 40 kms north east of the town at Kulikup. Barbecue and catering facilities are available. Phone Max or Roslyn Fairbrass on 9767 3029.
SCOTTS BROOK WINERY
Scott's Brook Winery is located about 20 kilometres South East from Boyup Brook, 4.5 km on right on Scott’s Brook Road. Wine tastings and cellar sales available.
Phone: 9765 3014
Mobile: 0427 095 533
Sandy is a well known Western Australian artist and sculptor who resides in Boyup Brook. A visit to his home is well worth it to view his artwork, the many aviaries in the garden and his camels. Various different pieces of his work can be seen around the town. Phone 9765 1225.
HARVEY DICKSON’S COUNTRY MUSIC CENTRE
The Harvey Dickson Country Music Centre and Rodeo is just 5 kilometres from the town of Boyup Brook in Western Australia’s south west. The centre covers about 35 acres and you can see an assortment of animals, all sculpted out of timber logs. Three 45ft Guitar Men stand tall and proud, which started out as trees growing in the wild. Boots, hats, eyes and mouths have been added along with metal guitars. King Billy is also there on the horizon, along with the famous Sundown Corral.
Harvey Dickson’s Country Music Centre is just about the most amazing creation in the Southern Hemisphere. The first Country Music Show was held in the old barn in 1969; the first show in the new Entertainment Venue was in 1986; the first Rodeo was held in 2002. Wander over to the Bunyip Shed, and gaze at memorabilia ranging from over 100 years to now. There is the Bushman's Bar, a stage area, shearing pens, and a life size Elvis by local resident artist Sandy Chambers. The Country Music Centre also has a recording studio, a variety of wildlife and a large barbecue area.
To arrange a visit, phone Harvey or Rose on 9765 1125 or for more information.
Norlup was one of the first farms to be established in the district, where Commander and Mrs Scott settled in 1845, after following a track blazed from Albany by John Hassell. The beautiful old home, built in 1874, has now been tastefully restored by its present owners Lance and Margaret Hester. To arrange an inspection, please phone the owners on 9767 3034.
The Boyup Brook District Pioneers’ Museum is located on the site of the old Masonic Lodge, Jayes Road, Boyup Brook. Boyup Brook is rich in history and the people of the district have contributed much to the development of Western Australia. The museum’s displays reflect the spirit and ingenuity of the pioneers of the district, with simple and sympathetic interpretation
The Masonic Lodge
The Masonic Lodge is the only one in Australia that is open to the public complete with authentic furniture, symbols and regalia. The original hall was built in 1929 for the Freemasons of the Upper Blackwood. The new extension was commissioned in 1964 and then badly damaged by a cyclone some years later, causing the roof and ceiling to be replaced three courses of bricks lower. Because it was completely funded, built and maintained by the Freemasons of Boyup Brook, they claimed the right to gift the building to the Shire of Boyup Brook as a museum on the condition that the Temple be maintained and open to the public.
The 1954 Zoo Train
This train was given to the people of Boyup Brook some time ago and has been restored by Museum volunteers and members of the local Men’s Shed. The next step is to source some track and take it on a ride.
The mortuary was part of the Upper Blackwood Soldiers’ Memorial Hospital, which was built in 1923/1924 as a tribute to those who fell in WW1. Following renovations to the hospital in 1998, the mortuary building was relocated to the museum complex to be retained as part of the heritage of the district. It has since been restored and now displays a collection of hospital equipment from a bygone era.
The Kulikup School
The Kulikup School was a one room school operating from 1917-1945.
Following the transfer of students to the Boyup Brook School, the building was relocated to a site adjacent to the Tennis and Cricket Clubs of Kulikup, to be used as club rooms for both organisations. When these two entities also closed the structure fell into disrepair. After being relocated to the Museum grounds, it was lovingly restored. The exhibition housed inside reflects the history of the locality of Kulikup and the user groups which occupied this building throughout its life in the community.
An excellent display of machinery relating to the development of Western Australia’s sub-terranian clover industry depicts the story of ‘Dwalganup” clover and the clover harvesting industry which was developed by local pioneer P. D. Forrest.
This industry sustained many throughout the depression and Boyup Brook became a thriving agricultural centre.
Dinninup Railway Siding
A fully restored railway siding houses a display which evokes memories of a time when rail transport played a large part in the activities of the district.
The volunteers who make up the Museum Management Committee welcome assistance from anyone with an interest in the history and heritage of Boyup Brook. Meetings are held once per month and visitors are welcome to come along and have cuppa and find out how you can become involved.
The next committee meeting date is advertised in the Boyup Gazette on the Visitor Centre page or contact Grant Wardle on 0427 651239 or Helen O’Connell on 9765 3145.
Opening hours - (Allow at least one hour for tour)
or view on request by phoning Leila on 9765 2223
Leaflets available at the tourist centre.
BICENTENNIAL WALKING TRAIL
Walk over footbridges, crossing the Boyup Brook, continue along the Blackwood River to the river picnic ground, passing the boundaries of the sporting grounds and oval. For further details, speak the Tourist Bureau.
This is the remaining stump of a tree, blazed by Surveyor Augustus Gregory in 1845 during his surveying trips in the South West, and is situated on Gibbs Road. Contact the Tourist Centre for more information on 9765 1444.
Haddelton Reserve is 5,000 hectares of flora reserve, which includes rare banksias, orchids, and pink and brown boronia. For more information, telephone 9767 2022.
BOYUP BROOK FLAX MILL
The Old Flax Mill is one of the most interesting places to see at Boyup Brook. It was built during the early years of the 1939 - 45 war for the treatment of flax grown in the district.
Prior to the war, Britain had obtained most of its flax fibre from Europe, but when supplies from there were cut off there was a desperate need to arrange for crops to be grown elsewhere and Australia came to the rescue. By 1943 the mill at Boyup Brook was operating round the clock in three shifts, and employed over 400 people.
The Flax Mill buildings still remain and have been converted into a recreation and accommodation complex. Situated on the Blackwood River, the Flax Mill has caravan and camping sites, dormitory accommodation and excellent facilities including barbeques, en suite facilities, etc.
A Workers Recollection
ROO GULLY WILDLIFE SANCTUARY
‘Roo Gully’ is a working wildlife sanctuary, managed by Carol Lander since 1996. Carol and her team of volunteers and students, many from overseas, dedicate themselves to the care, rehabilitation and research of native animals and have developed specialist expertise in kangaroo care.
The work and achievements of Roo Gully have achieved notoriety in wildlife carer circles, and Carol and the team are increasingly being called upon for their specialist knowledge. The documenting and filming of kangaroo growth and behaviour has become an increasing focus for Carol, who has developed considerable skills in the area of film making, supported by in-house production facilities, and she co produced, directed and wrote 'The Roo Gully Diaries', which won an award at the New York Festivals. This 6 part documentary series was aired by the ABC and is now airing overseas.
Carol has a particular interest in researching the evolution and biology of kangaroos. The scope of work and finances required to maintain these activities continues to increase. For more information, visit the website at www.roogully.com or phone 9765 1514.