Council Elections

The Shire President, Mr Michael Giles, has announced his immediate retirement from Council, after a long career. Mr Norm Blackburn, due to his relocation, has also left the Council.

The October Shire Council Elections are fast approaching and on top of the recent departures, there are another two councillors not standing for re-election and a third proposing to stand for another term.  

There are talented members of the Boyup Brook Community, who successfully drive many local organisations, such as, The St. John’s Ambulance Service, The Fire Brigade, The Museum, Men’s Shed, Visitors Centre, CRC and the Country Music Centre, to mention a few.

The Boyup Brook Shire needs you, and with the upcoming Shire Elections in October, it is now your opportunity to step forward and enable the Shire to operate in a productive and visionary manner.

Enrolling to Vote

You may be eligible to be enrolled to vote in the Local Government elections if you live in or are an owner or occupier of rateable property in the district of the relevant Local Government.


You are automatically enrolled to vote if you are on the State Electoral Roll.  If you are not already on the State Electoral Roll but meet the eligibility criteria for this Roll, a claim for enrolment can be made to any Divisional Returning Officer of the Australian Electoral Commission in Western Australia.  Forms are available from all post offices or the Western Australian Electoral Commission and must be completed and reach a Divisional Returning Officer.

Non-Resident Owners AND Occupiers

If you are a non-resident owner or occupier of rateable property in your Local Government area and are on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll, you are eligible to enrol to vote and should make an enrolment application to the Local Government.  If you are not on the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll and own or occupy rateable property in a particular Local Government, you may be eligible to enrol to vote if you were on the Local Government’s last electoral roll prior to May 1996.  Please contact the particular Local Government for details.  Owners of land who were on the last roll of the Local Government continue to retain that status until they cease to own the rateable property which the enrolment relates.

Occupiers do not have continuous enrolment and should contact their particular Local Government to confirm their enrolment status.  To be eligible to enrol as an occupier, you will need to have a right of continuous occupation under a lease, tenancy agreement or other legal instrument for at least the next 3 months following the date of the application to enrol.

Joint Owners and Occupiers

If a rateable property is owned or occupied by more than two people, a majority of the owners/occupiers may nominate two persons from amongst themselves who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll, to enrol as owner/occupier electors.


A body corporate that owns or occupies rateable property may nominate two people who are on either the State or Commonwealth Electoral Roll to enrol as owner/occupier electors.

Enrolment Forms

Enrolment claim forms can be obtained from Local Government or Australian Electoral Commission offices and should be lodged with the particular Chief Executive Officer.

 Information for Prospective Candiates

For more information read through the Local Government Elections Fact Sheets and Nomination for Election by Candidate form.


Events Calendar